Topic Of The Week: Consolidation
So you’ve got your life map, decided on a path to start out on and chosen a vehicle – what now? What will you need on your journey, what have you got?
First of all, you’ve got yourself as you are right now. So: Who are you?
The luggage you might take with you on your life journey consists of everything you are and have: Your body as it is, your desires, your hopes, your likes and dislikes, your beliefs and habits, your knowledge, skills and experiences, your possessions, your relationships with others – in short, whatever you have accumulated up to now.
But what do you actually need to go in your chosen direction? Can you prepare for all eventualities?
Let’s assume you had a precise and safe plan, taking into account whatever you might possibly meet on your journey. Let’s assume further you would know exactly what you needed in each instance, and you had the means to acquire it.
How long would it take you to prepare, to start out on your journey?
How are you going to carry all that with you? How can you be sure to have it ready the moment you need it, to find it in your luggage pile?
How do you feel about this alternative list of essentials?
- Trust that your I-Self guides you – listen to it and act accordingly. That’s what courage is about.
- Act as if you had already realised your dreams: What would be your luggage then? Of what you’ve got, pick only what comes closest to your dreams, and leave the rest to fade into your past.
- Choose companions for your journey. Team up with whoever goes in your direction, even if it’s only for a short distance. Say “thank you” to those you leave behind.
- Embrace change – without the desire to change, why would you travel?
- Cut the word “problem” from your vocabulary. Replace it with “challenge”.
Write a letter to yourself from the future. Looking back at who you are and what you are doing now, what would you say to yourself? What would you have done differently?
If you want to go a step further, write your own eulogy. To get started, read How will people remember me? on milkthepigeon.
Enjoy packing your bags 🙂
Image Source: via wikimedia.org
Can you think of a friend or colleague who might be interested in this post? For instant email click on the button below.